Friday, September 5

Ode to SIGG

Isn't it pretty? Seriously, I am so in love with my water bottle that it is actually disturbing.

For those of you who have been following this blog since I started it oh-so-long ago in May of this year, you may have noticed that I seem to be edging more and more to the greener side as days go by.

Our SIGG experience didn't start until I began researching the BPA scare for an article I was writing. That one story lead to replacing all of my baby bottles (even though I only had 2 months left until transferring to a sippy cup!), going through every piece of plastic-ware in the house and tossing any that did not meet standards, and bucking up to drop $25 each on water bottles for me and every member in my extended family.

Sure it was pricey. But I looked at it the same way I looked at my cloth-diapering investment. Money now means savings later, for both myself and the environment.

And so far, I think I got my money's worth. It's made from a single piece of extruded aluminim (no plastic!), leak-proof, the interior coating will not leach into fluids,and it's recyclable after you've dropped it for the 10,000th time.

These things are pretty tough to come by right now, with the current BPA-free hype, but we were able to get ours from REI's web site, and patiently waited three months for our back-ordered choices.

Mine? It's the unpronouncable Maharadsha.

What do you think of the SIGG and what's your favorite design?

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I think that the SIGG is pretty awesome. I am so glad that they come in the 1 liter size of a Fiji bottle; since that is what I usually drink my water out of. I might consider buying one now that I have found a website that offers them in the size I like; the others I have looked at were all much smaller. I seriously think that the Not a Plastic Bottle and Proud of It is just hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I bought my daughter the counterpart to this in the purple color and it's beautiful! She absolutely loves it!

Pauline said...

I'll let you in on a little secret; I really wanted the pink, but settled for the red because it was the only option in this design from REI.
But I still love it. The bottle is gorgeous and I love that it isn't plastic.