Saturday, August 9

G...that's earth-friendly!


Okay, so I'm figuring you all have noticed I've got a bit of an eco-streak going on with the products I agree to review and use in my home.

And with that, I've really moved awa from using disposable diapers because, well, the idea of a disposable diaper sitting in a landfill for 500 years is just pretty nasty.

And even though I've been cloth-diapering for most of Buttercup's life, I have never been able to find a good solution for night-time or for extrememly long outings where carrying around dirty diapers just didn't appeal to me.

One particular item that has recently moved to the top of my list is gDiapers. It's a great (flushable) choice for the eco-minded parents out there who don't mind little trial and error in the learning process.

First, about the diaper itself. gDiapers are free of elemetal chlorine and perfume, and are a garbage-free (and laundry-free) option if disposables just don't appeal or cloth just isn't your thing.

The flushables themselves are made of a breathable, water-resistant outer material, and are 100 percent biodegradable. snap-in liners are pvc-free pylyurethane, and are actually pretty to rinse and change. Outer covers complete the package and are made of a breathable cotton with a slight stretch. The added bonus is that the colors are just cute.



So how do they work? I got a starter kit from gDiapers with two little g-pants, inserts, and the flushable liner and swish stick. The idea is that you fit the insert into the g-pants and once it needs to be changed, you merely tear the sides on the insert or flushing poopies. Wet diapers can be flushed or garden-composted.
Now, after tons of "practice," a few clogged toilets, and a few choice words, I finally got past the learning curve for the gDiapers and am officially a convert.

Now for cost.

* Starter kits run $26.99 for two little g-pants, 10 flushables, a swisch stick, and a user guide.
* Little g's go for $16.99 or $18.99, depending on what style you want.
* Flushables run $14.49 for a pack of 32 flushables or $52 for a case of 10. You can also save by singing up for automatic shipments. (that's what I did.)

Before you say anything, yes, they are more expensive than traditional disposables. And no matter how much you want to help the planet, the economy tends to take precendence when it comes to decisions regarding what to buy. Now, if I wanted to use these full-time,I admit that I would not be able to do so. But since I cloth diaper and only use the gDiapers for night time and extended outings, I can feel good about Buttercup's gDiaprs and not go broke.

gDiapers can be purchased on the company web site and at Amazon.

3 comments:

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne said...

I love these! They look amazing! I need to get me some for my little moose, and her 7 month old moose sister!

Totally cute!

Rose said...

okay, seriously I'm not so bored that I have to watch a clip about flushing diapers! But I visited this site and watched every video they had just out of my curiosity and I have to say if I had more children I would definitely be using these gdiapers. Just the fact of no diaper smell in the house would be awesome!

Pauline said...

Rose and Lilith, these really are the coolest earth-friendly alternative to cloth diapering that I have found.
But be warned, there will be clogged toilets in the beginning.
I have found that if I let the filler "soak" in the toilet for a bit before flushing, I rarely have problems.
I haven't tried composting the wet ones yet, but I plan to start.
And keep in mind that there is a link to the yahoo group for g-diapers on the company site. You can get g-pants used on that group to save money, plus tips on how to extend use of the g-pants with cloth fillers so you can stretch use of the flushable fillers.