I've had the chance to try a few different options on the market, and recently found my favorite. The ReJAVAnate bag is just cool-for a variety of reasons.
ReJAVAnate bags are made from burlap from coffee roasters that would have otherwise went straight to a landfill. That's just a smart way to recycle and eliminate a large source of waste.
(Did you know that coffee is the second largest commodity in the world and a resulting 800,000 tons of burlap are out into landfills every year? I was surprised to find that out, too!)
The company works with individuals with bags developmentally disabled individuals through The Arc to hand make the ReJAVAnate bags, providing the rest of us with a sustainable way to reduce paper and plastic bag consumption.
I took the ReJavanate to the grocery store with the me to grab some stuff, and was impressed with the roominess. I managed to fit 2 boxes of cereal, a bag of baby carrots, a head of romaine lettuce, and a bottle of juice. There was even room for a handful of boxes of Jello!
And as Rachel from Honeychunks pointed out to me, I even get a five cent bag credit for every reusable bag I bring in. Sweet!
I'm really loving this and think you will, too. It would definitely be a great way to bring in the New Year, wouldn't it?
ReJavanate is offering two of my winners the chance to win one Grower Logo bag (like mine!) each! To enter, visit the ReJAVAnate sister site at Buy Green and leave a comment telling me which item you are most interested in seeing reviewed next.
Entries will be accepted until midnight, EST, Jan. 7, 2009 and the winner will have four business days from the announcement date to contact me with their information or an alternate will be selected.
Additional extra entries are also available if you:
*subscribe to my RSS feed and comment letting me know you did so.
* Blog about contest and link to this post.
* Non-bloggers can email three of their friends about the contest at berriesweet.info (at) gmail (dot) com and CC me on the email. Girl Scout's honor that I will never bother these sweet people. I promise!
* Grab my Berrie Sweet Picks button and place it on your blog page. I'll check!
* Follow me on Twitter! (nickname: berriesweetest)
* Tweet the contest leave a comment with your username telling me what you said to your "tweeple"!Please note all entries MUST include a valid email address to be considered for the drawing! That means that well, all entries must include an email address to be considered valid. Simple enough, right? ;)